Thursday 26 February 2009

"Teenaged" audio test?

Here's an interesting item that's making the rounds on the Internet:

A company called Train Horns has developed a way of keeping teenagers from loitering around malls and shops by literally annoying them until they walk away. How?

By playing a constant buzzing sound at a frequency that can supposedly only be heard by people 25 and younger. I'm 23, so I took the "teenaged audio test." I could definitely hear the sound, and it is definitely annoying; but then, I'm not the loitering type anyway.

I'm curious to see if it really is only audible to young people, though. I suspect that anybody with relatively normal hearing levels can hear at this pitch. If you're willing to take the risk, listen to an audio clip here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Leduc Representative encourages and welcomes comments on any content posted on this blog. Please note that comments will be reviewed by Rep staff before appearing on the site. Comments containing personal attacks or discriminatory or inappropriate language will be deleted.