Wednesday 7 September 2011

The last days of the great season

Bobby Roy

When the September long weekend finishes up, in my mind, that marks the end of summer and it's a little depressing when you think what's ahead.
Thankfully I got to spend the September long in Calgary with my buddies and got to come home happy after watching the Eskimos give the Stamps a good ol' beatdown in Cowtown. It was a fantastic way to end summer.
I think the best quote a Stamps fan gave us was, "head onto the QE north and go home!"
A classic and satisfying way to end the weekend I'd say.
But back to real life.
Luckily this week, it looks like Mother Nature is giving us Albertans an extended summer, even though at some points (especially July), it didn't feel like we had summer at all.
It's a nice little bonus and gives us some extra time to spend time outside at the parks, beaches, lakes and anywhere we can soak up the sun and heat.
So enjoy it if you can, because it'll all be over before we know it.
It's only a matter of time before the cooler days and nights, the dark and dare I say it, the snow, starts to creep in.
What I hate the most are the dark nights and mornings fall and winter bring us.
The snow, cold and terrible driving conditions compound my dislike for winter here, but there are plenty of places around the world that have to deal with the more serious of problems Mother Nature hands down and the other problems life brings (political unrest, domestic, societal, etc ).
So I guess it's not all bad here when you look at the grand scheme of things.
But I'll likely still complain at moments this fall and winter.
For now, I'm going to enjoy these days of beauty and hope they last for as long as possible.
Once they're over then it's time to start finding hobbies that don't include watching copious amounts of television for the fall and winter months, but I'll worry about later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Leduc Representative encourages and welcomes comments on any content posted on this blog. Please note that comments will be reviewed by Rep staff before appearing on the site. Comments containing personal attacks or discriminatory or inappropriate language will be deleted.