Wednesday 17 August 2011

Being vegetarian is as cool as a cucumber

Stephanie Dubois

news@leducrep.com

Having been a vegetarian for almost six years, I’ve definitely got used to getting weird stares, odd comments and been made fun of for skipping out on the chicken pot pie or medium rare steak.

But you know what? I think it is catching on.

Laugh as you will, but I do think that people are starting to become more aware of their veggie counterparts who are usually stuck eating salad because some meat eaters don’t really know what to feed us. (We do enjoy a good salad but we do/can eat other stuff just for future reference)

And sure, I guess I deserve to be made fun of for moving from the poutine capital to a province known as the beef capital of Canada. But what I have noticed is the joke making is just people being generally misinformed about vegetarians. Since I moved here almost two years ago from La Belle Province, I have encountered some people who think that vegetarian is a synonym for vegan, that I still eat beef and that I share the same diet as a rabbit. But I want to clear that up right now, right after I eat this carrot. Being vegan means eating nothing from an animal and that includes no cheese, milk, eggs and sometimes honey for some hardcore vegans. For the record, I personally enjoy cheese and a good milkshake way too much to stray away from that food group so I am not vegan.

And just to give some facts about vegetarians, there are several different types or degrees of vegetarianism. Due to health reasons, I’m the type that still eats fish. Yes, they are alive and I have received flack from fellow vegetarians but hey, it’s doc orders.

I know I said that vegetarianism might be catching on and I still stick to that statement. So Albertans might not be giving up their meat as willingly as others, but I have noticed that more restaurants, hotel menus and hot dogs stands (yes, Fat Frank’s in Edmonton has a veggie dog) are becoming more accommodating towards us veggie lovers. I’m not sure if it’s because restaurant owners want to profit on this untapped market in Alberta or if it’s because we complain and moan too much but either way it is refreshing.

When I became a vegetarian almost six years ago, coworkers, family and friends became frustrated with me when it came to dinner parties or going out for a bite to eat because they thought I was a picky eater. Maybe I am, but I would tell them that almost every restaurant has a vegetarian option and above all else, take me into consideration. That’s all I ask. So when you meet a vegetarian, know this: We’re not that different. We all eat fruits and vegetables, but some of us just choose to not accompany them with a piece of meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Leduc Representative encourages and welcomes comments on any content posted on this blog. Please note that comments will be reviewed by Rep staff before appearing on the site. Comments containing personal attacks or discriminatory or inappropriate language will be deleted.