Friday 20 November 2009


Confessions of a hardcore bookworm

 Michelle Minnoch

There's nothing better than a good book.

The other night, I finished John Irving's A Night in Twisted River and let out a huge sigh.

While I was excited to reach the end of the book, I didn't want the novel to end. I have been waiting for this, Irving's 12th novel, since he wrote Until I Found You in 2005 and one week after I had purchased it, the book found its place alongside his others on my bookshelf.

I have always been an avid reader and I have always been very selective in the types of book I choose to spend my time with.

My time is precious, and if I am going to become attached to characters and people that consume my thoughts between 9 and 10 p.m., then it had better be worth my while.

I got turned onto John Irving when my Grade 10 English teacher, who knew about my love of reading, suggested his favourite book, A Prayer for Owen Meany. That book, to this day, remains the book that has not only had the greatest impact on me, but is also the best I have ever read.

There are two other authors that can easily make me fall in love with words and characters: Wally Lamb and Khaled Hosseini. Lamb's powerful, overweight and overcompensating main character Dolores in his debut novel She's Come Undone made me respect Lamb that much more. How a man could write a woman so well astounded me. Hosseini's Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns are written candidly, beautifully and opens the reader up to a world that seems so far away: Kabul, Affghanistan.

This year I took a chance on AJ Jacobs, the editor-at-large for Esquire, who immerses himself in experiments and takes the reader for a ride. And what a ride it is!

Whether he was living as true to the Bible as he could in The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible or reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica for The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World, I am looking forward to what he does next, knowing I will end each chapter with a smile on my face.

While I love a good novel, I have read quite a great number of biographies and, well, just plain interesting books. Whether it was Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street by Michael Davis, Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher, Why We Suck by Dennis Leary or The Well Dressed Ape: A Natural History of Myself by Hannah Holmes, I spent many nights surrounded by words jumping off the page, new thoughts entering my consciousness and having a few laughs.

I have about six books on my shelf ready to read, and have a long list of books on my Christmas list.

I never have less than two books on the shelf ready and waiting, and I only read one book at a time. I take reading seriously — if I am going to give my time to read someone else's words, they deserve my full attention.

I am currently in Washington with Robert Langdon in Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol and am caught up in the world of free masonry.

It's always a good thrill when Langdon is on the page, I am again glued to this world of words and cannot wait to see what happens next.

But I know once I am finished, I will have much to do.

For the next couple of months I will get into to the minds of Peter Mansbridge, Rick Hillier, Sarah Palin and Russell Brand (though not necessarily in that order). I will travel to Methland: The Life and Death of an American Small Town and read about The Clinton Tapes.

As the proverbial question asks: if you were stuck on an island what three books would you take?

That's a no brainer. To Kill a Mockingbird for my mind, A Prayer for Owen Meany for my soul, and What Would You Do With A Kangaroo? for the kid in me.

1 comment:

  1. My desert-island books ... hmmmm ....
    The Little Prince by Antoine St-Exupery (soul, mind AND inner child in one)
    In the Country of the Young by Lisa Carey (because I literally never get tired of re-reading it)
    My big book of weather. Because I think it would come in handy. :P

    ReplyDelete

The Leduc Representative encourages and welcomes comments on any content posted on this blog. Please note that comments will be reviewed by Rep staff before appearing on the site. Comments containing personal attacks or discriminatory or inappropriate language will be deleted.