Monday 17 August 2009

Not ready to say goodbye to my cell phone

I don’t know what I would do with out my BlackBerry.

I use it to talk, text, BBM (BlackBerry messenger), check my e-mails, check facebook, waste my time playing brick breaker and it’s my alarm clock.

Since the day I got it I was in love.

I can’t deny that I occasionally use my BlackBerry while I driving to talk to people or text or use BBM.

Last week it was announced that the provincial government is going to address the problem of distracted drivers this fall.

This potential law could prevent drivers from using handheld phones, texting and other tasks that could distract a driver.

I am looking forward to this fall to see how it all goes down. What I am most looking forward to is to find out what they classify as a distraction.

Cell phones and IPods will likely be grouped as a distraction, but what about everything else?

What about the radio, or the directions you have written out on a piece of paper or the passengers you are having a conversation with, or the cigarette people light up while driving?

I understand that many people in this world cannot text and drive at the same time, and it can make a bad driver.

But I also understand that many people in this world just suck at driving. Distractions will always be a factor in driving.

Instead of trying to remove them, maybe the government should focus on trying to improve the drivers on the road.

People will still text and talk, but if a law like this is passed they will know to put the phone down once they spot a police officer.

Yes, cell phones can make the road dangerous. But so does a cigarette, a baby crying in the back seat, a barking dog, a gossip-queen passenger, changing the radio stations, picking a new CD, or rocking out to Britney Spears latest single.

If no one talked on the phone or sent text messages while driving the number of accidents would almost certainly decrease. But just because it’s the law doesn’t mean people will follow it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Leduc Representative encourages and welcomes comments on any content posted on this blog. Please note that comments will be reviewed by Rep staff before appearing on the site. Comments containing personal attacks or discriminatory or inappropriate language will be deleted.