Tuesday 14 July 2009

First memory of the Boys and Girls Club

I have no idea how many stories I have written about the Leduc Boys and Girls Club, and I probably couldn't count how many pictures I have taken of members of the club.
Not only have I learned more about the club and everything they do for the community, but I have also had the opportunity to meet the people who make it the great place it is today.
My first memories of the club are from a long, long time ago when I was still in elementary school. 
It was probably when I was in Grade 4 or 5, when I was still a shy little girl that hated attention (I know what you're thinking - Laura, hating attention? No way. But it's true!)
My class went on a field trip to the club to learn about safety. We were in the middle of being taught what to do if a stranger approached us, when they decided to pick us kids to come up and show what we would do.
Even though I did everything in my power not to make eye contact with the speaker I still was the chosen one.
I remember the person pretending to be in a car, and I was pretending to be riding my bike. 
He Pulled up and started talking to me, I said something along the lines of "Sorry I cant talk right now my mom is waiting for me at home" and pretended to speed away. 
Knowing myself, I was probably certain I was wrong, my face was likely burning red and I could have cried I was so embarrassed to speak in in front of my entire class.
The staff at the club went on about how great I did and I was on top of the world.
This was about the time I stopped being so shy.
I went home that night and taught my little brother and sister what to do if a stranger ever approached them, and felt like a genius.
I never was a member of the club, but would always go on buddy days and on school trips.
In those few times I thought it was one of the coolest places for kids to hang out. 
My work with the club only confirms all my thoughts.
The staff know how to be friends with all the kids, while being great role-models.
The Boys and Girls Club takes kids off the street and away from their precious TV and computer screens. It keep them active and even teaches them with games and day trips.
The club is more than just a place to drop off your kids while you are at work, its a fun friendly environment that is probably a second home to several of the young members.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Leduc Representative encourages and welcomes comments on any content posted on this blog. Please note that comments will be reviewed by Rep staff before appearing on the site. Comments containing personal attacks or discriminatory or inappropriate language will be deleted.