Tuesday 30 June 2009

Vacation countdown

It has been years since I have been on a vacation and even though I (usually) really enjoy my job, I just need a break!
I have been working at the Rep for more than a year, with no vacation. The summer before I started I was interning here, with no vacation. The summer before that I was working full time saving up for school, with no vacation.
As of Friday July 3, I can stop complaining, because I get an entire week and one day off. This is the week and one day I have been looking forward to since I called dibs on it about 10 months ago.
I decided to save my first holiday for this exact week for one simple reason: CALGARY STAMPEDE.
Growing up I would go to Stampede every year with my family. I usually enjoyed traveling on the C-Train more than any of the rides, and usually ended the day vomiting thanks to the few rides I did go on, but it was some of the best times of my life.
Since I have turned 18 and been legal to drink I have not had the opportunity to go, but this is my year.
To make things even better I will get to see some friends and family I haven't seen in months and some close friends from Leduc will also be making their way there.
We have some big plans that include beer gardens, midways, shopping, nachos and early breakfasts to help us get ready to do it all again. And the best of all Reba McEntire, a concert I missed out on two years ago because I got the summer position here, with my good friend from SAIT Torie.
Somehow, Torie got us row 7 tickets, and I have been counting down the days since I found out.
So in just a few days I will be throwing all my laundry into a few garbage bags to take home for my mom to wash, putting on my drinking boots (actually flip-flops, boots just sound more appropriate for Stampede) and get my new cowboy hat ready for a long week that I can guarantee will end up with me broke and sleep deprived.
Thinking about it at work I would probably have more time to myself, I would get more sleep, save a lot of money and I wouldn't have any of those mystery bruises I always end up with.
But I cannot wait! 
I should probably take a vacation from my vacation, because my predictions are I will end up coming back to work even more worn out than I am now and I will need a break more than I do now.
The only thing I know I will be able to do when I get back is what I do now, rush to the office after I sleep in, leave all my work to the last minute and beg to go home early. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Leduc Representative encourages and welcomes comments on any content posted on this blog. Please note that comments will be reviewed by Rep staff before appearing on the site. Comments containing personal attacks or discriminatory or inappropriate language will be deleted.