Friday 20 March 2009

My new view on scary movies

Working at the Rep has given me the opportunity to write about things I feel strongly about. I get to write a news article, features and I have even started writing columns that truly say what I am thinking about at that time.
This is really good when I am frustrated about something like drinking and driving or domestic abuse. It is also nice to write about things I just want to say for the fun of it.
But not everything I have to say is great for the paper. So this is where the blog comes in on days my editor is out of the office. I can write anything I want....
Which is perfect because something has really been bothering me for the past month, and I need to get it off my chest.

I am the kind of person who enjoys to be scared during a movie. I love old movies, new movies and remakes. Anything that can scare me I will watch.
When I heard there was a remake of Friday the 13th I was ecstatic.  
The weekend it was released me and my roommate went to the Leduc Theatre ordered our popcorn and watched Jason kill (Without the music).
We both were really into the movie and didn't say a thing to each other, until the moment that has since changed the way I look at white masked serial killers. Jason ran after a victim!!!
I have been watching scary movies for years now, and every good slasher flick the killer never ran, that is was made it scary. The victim always had a chance, and you had hope they would live but either they would trip, get lost or hit a dead end. And even though the thing chasing them was walking it would still always catch up.
Now Jason runs?!?!
I always thought about what I would do if a giant man with a white mask was trying to chop me into little pieces. I knew I would be one of the first people to go (being a blonde nosy reporter who would likely go up to the person in the mask thinking it was one of my friends), but this is ridiculous, I won't even have a good chase scene!
Even though I am not a fast runner I swore I would watch where I was going and not trip. I would be the person people thought might live, but now that has all changed.

So I would like to take this unsupervised time in the office to say thanks to the people who created the new Jason. Thanks for not giving me a chance if I was ever a white masked giant's prey.

2 comments:

  1. I think Michael Meyers is a bit more of a threat than Jason but I do see your point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this new Jason still makes me nearly
    pee myself, but now I get to die too. Great.

    I'd always had alot of respect for killers who
    had the mad skills to be able to somehow find
    their victims even though their pace difference was quite clear, this remake made me lose alot of respect for Jason. Now he just looks like a crazy desperate man yearning for some ones death, it's alright though, as long as Michael Meyers won't outrun me I'll still sleep sound at night.

    ReplyDelete

The Leduc Representative encourages and welcomes comments on any content posted on this blog. Please note that comments will be reviewed by Rep staff before appearing on the site. Comments containing personal attacks or discriminatory or inappropriate language will be deleted.